Thursday, December 18, 2008

Materials

Before I get into the details of the drawing, let me describe the materials and pens that I use.

Pens
For a long time I have used technical drawing pens from Staedtler. I started out with their Mars Matic pen set, which has a variety of pen sizes, but last year I came across their Mars Professional pen set which requires virtually no maintanance. I like the low maintanance feature because there may be periods of time, due to job or family responsibilities, when I put the drawing aside for an extended period of time. When this happens you have to be careful to clean an maintain the regular technical pens, but the Mars Professional can be put away by just capping the nib. The only drawback that I find with this pen set is the limited pen widths (4), with the minimum size being 0.25mm. So far, this has not been a problem. Another thing to look out for is acid free ink. You want to make sure your ink is acid free to avoid yellowing of the paper over time.

Paper
I have used a variety of papers from a variety of suppliers but lately I have been using Bristol Vellum, 100lb, medium texture. I generally work with 11x14 sheets but usually do not use the entire surface. The paper surface should not allow the ink to bleed.

Scanner/Printer
As you can see, I post my drawings to the web and a good quality scanner is a must. We recently purchased an HP C8180 Printer, Scanner, Copier, Fax. So far I have been pretty happy with it.

No comments: